Cinco de Mayo is just a few short days away! Which is a great excuse to get some friends together and whip up all of your favorite Mexican dishes. Mexican food is truly some of the most delicious on the planet (in our humble opinion of course...), and an authentic Mexican meal wouldn't be complete without a refreshing glass of ice cold Horchata. And if you like your Mexican food especially spicy, Horchata is the perfect cooling accompaniment.
Creamy Hazelnut Horchata (Raw, Vegan, and Paleo!)
Makes 2 cups
2 cups fresh hazelnut milk *see recipe below
3-4 Tbs coconut sugar (to taste)
1 full tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 heaped tsp Dasony Stone Ground Raw Cashew Butter
1 tsp slippery elm powder (can be omitted, but it helps to thicken the recipe)
2 pinches Himalayan crystal salt (to enhance the flavors)
1. blend all ingredients until smooth and frothy.
2. Keep chilled and serve over ice with an extra dash of cinnamon on top.
Basic Fresh Hazelnut Milk
Makes 4 cups
1 cup raw organic hazelnuts, soaked for 4-8 hours
4 cups of purified water
Nut Milk Instructions
1. First, soaked your hazelnuts for at least 4 hours, or simply soak overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
2. Blend hazenuts with 1 cup of water until a paste forms. Then add additional 3 cups of water and blend again until completely smooth. Adding water in increments like this ensures that the hazelnuts blend thoroughly.
3. Strain mixture through a nylon mesh nut milk bag removing the nut fiber to create a creamy nut milk.
Store extra milk in the refrigerator (preferably in glass) for up to 5 days.